Roz Spencer Award
2020 – Carol Ann Hixon
The Museum of Art|Fort Collins is pleased to announce that Carol Ann Hixon is the 2020 recipient of the Roz Spencer Award. The award will be presented at the Roz Spencer Award Reception at the museum. The original date of May 15th has been postponed due to COVID-19. The Roz Spencer Award pays tribute to founder of the museum and the person to whom we owe our legacy, the gifted artist and community activist Roz Spencer. With this award each year, an individual or individuals are honored for their involvement with MOA and the arts as a whole in our community.
For the past 40 years, the arts, coupled with education, have been Carol Ann’s passion. A native Coloradan, she moved to Fort Collins with husband Gary in 1966 and together they are lifelong advocates for the arts and education in the city they love. There are so many reasons to honor the generous spirit and dedication to the arts and education that exemplify Carol Ann Hixon. Here are a few:
- For over 40 years, Carol Ann influenced many generations of students as a teacher and administrator in the Poudre School District.
- She was instrumental in founding the Masks Benefit at MOA, and currently serves on various advisory committees for the museum.
- Her love of the arts also extends to the Fort Collins Symphony, of which she has been involved with in various capacities since 1992.
- She has also served the City of Fort Collins tirelessly with service on the Cultural Resources Board, the Arts in Public Places Board and various fundraising initiatives for The Lincoln Center, chiefly working on ArtWear since 1992, the fashion show benefit for the Lincoln Center Gallery.
- She has added her many talents and dedication to working on various committees with the Lincoln Center, Bas Bleu Theatre, Open Stage Theatre, Opera Fort Collins, Canyon Concert Ballet and the College of Liberal Arts at Colorado State University.
The arts in this community would not be where they are today without the decades of dedication, knowledge and passion from Carol Ann Hixon.
Roz Spencer Award Reception
Friday, May 15th- POSTPONED DUE TO COVID-19
About Roz Spencer
Artist, Roz Spencer is the founder of the Museum of Art | Fort Collins. Roz was a dynamic, artistic and visionary presence in the Northern Colorado arts scene. We are deeply indebted to her creativity in conceptualizing, forming and realizing the institution that has become the Museum of Art | Fort Collins. We have named our award for Roz in gratitude of her artistic spirit and for championing the vital role that the arts play in our lives.
Previous Roz Spencer Award Winners
2019- Dr. Peter Springberg
2018- Dr. Bev Donnelley + Mr. Bill West
2017- Gwen Hatchette